Saturday 11 December 2010

Game Modes

The article I posted the other day about creating game modes and not levels was a really interesting read and got me thinking (and doing) about level design.

A lot of the time when designing levels it's really easy at the start but then it does become a bit of a chore trying to come up with new and interesting levels. Game Modes, I think, gets rid of this repetitive and largely boring design stage.

For example, on my next game I've been looking at it just having Game Modes and no real level structure. I've been working on a Survival Mode where the player has to survive for as long as they can. With random elements the game mode is never really the same so it's fun (and different) every time you play. I've wasted more times playing the game mode than I have at coding it - which I think is a good sign.

If I design enough different game modes then you should have a game that has a lot of content. Some of the modes could be unlockable depending on what you have achieved so far which would also make the player come back for more. Online High Score tables for all the modes would also make it appealing.

Any thoughts on Game Modes?? or do you prefer traditional level design?

No comments:

Post a Comment